We're Looking for "Miss Bel Air 2018!"
The Bel Air Independence Day Committee, Inc., the non-profit all-volunteer group that produces the parade, fireworks and all other events in the Town of Bel Air each July 4th, announces that once again in 2018 it is seeking to crown a Miss Bel Air Independence Day!
The title holder, the 8th consecutive, familiarly known as "Miss Bel Air," will serve as hostess and participant in one of the region's largest 4th of July celebrations, taking place from dawn to night on Wednesday, July 4, 2018, and will also help promote the event in the weeks leading up to the event.
Events on Independence Day include the flag-raising at 6:45 am in front of Bel Air High School, the traditional Pancake Breakfast, the various family-friendly functions during the day, including the traditional competitive events, Uncle Sam Says, and the Watermelon Eating Contest! Finally, Miss Bel Air 2018 will lead the parade down Main Street in Bel Air at 6 pm.
Miss Bel Air, representing Bel Air and the Bel Air Independence Day Committee, will compete for the title of Miss Maryland in late June 2018, a part of the Miss America Pageant process.
After July 4 is completed, Miss Bel Air may appear in official or charitable events throughout the remainder of the calendar year, through December 31, including the annual Town of Bel Air Christmas Parade.
To qualify for the position of MISS BEL AIR INDEPENDENCE DAY, an applicant must:
- Be a female at least 17 years old as of January 1, 2018, but no older than 25 by December 31, 2018.
- Be single and never have been married.
- Live, work full time, or attend school full time in Maryland. Residence in or around Bel Air, Maryland, is preferred but not mandatory.
- Be at least a high school senior as of the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Meet character criteria as set forth by the Miss America Organization (q.v.).
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must be available to speak on behalf of the Bel Air Independence Day Committee to organizations such as the Harford County Council and the Town of Bel Air Commissioners.
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must commit the entire day of July 4, 2018, in Bel Air, Maryland, to carrying out the duties of the position.
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must agree to raise $250.00 for the Miss America National Platform: Children's Miracle Network.
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must agree to attend the Miss Maryland Pageant mandatory orientation meeting, and compete for the title of Miss Maryland 2018 in Hagerstown, Maryland.
- You must also agree to meet the time-commitment and responsibilities as set forth by the Miss Maryland program, should you win the title of Miss Maryland.
The position of MISS BEL AIR is chosen via interview. The deadline for communicating interest to the Committee via e-mail or via the CONTACT FORM on this page (select "Other" and state "I'm interested in being the next Miss Bel Air" in the Comments box!) is MARCH 1, 2018; the deadline for submitting a resume to the committee via e-mail is March 15, 2018.
No person may hold the title of "Miss Bel Air" more than once, but previous applicants or contestants are welcome to apply again, assuming they are still qualified (see above).
All communications will be via e-mail or through this web site; please do not use Facebook, text messages, Facebook Texts, tweets, snapchat or any other electronic communications protocol! Don't use faxes — and don't mail us anything!
We will place updates on the Miss Bel Air and the Bel Air Independence Day Committee Facebook pages for general interest. If you have any questions about this, please fill out the CONTACT FORM or ask us via e-mail.
Interviews will be held in March, with the goal of choosing Miss Bel Air 2018 by APRIL 2, 2018.