Would YOU Like to Be Miss Bel Air 2024?
Deadline to Apply: MARCH 1, 2024!
The Bel Air Independence Day Committee, Inc., announces that it is seeking applicants for the position of MISS BEL AIR INDEPENDENCE DAY 2024 (commonly known as "Miss Bel Air").
Please see photos on this page of our most recent holders of this position: Giovanna Ward 2023, Shyama Bhatt 2022, Maka Ezeonyebuchi 2020-2021, Kelsey Scott 2019 and Gabrielle Kerby 2018, being crowned by Natalie Brosch, Miss Bel Air 2017!.
To qualify for the position of MISS BEL AIR INDEPENDENCE DAY ("Miss Bel Air"), an applicant must:
- Be age 18-28 (birth years 1996–2006).
- Be single and never have been married.
- Live, work full time, or attend school full time in Maryland. Current or former residence in or around Bel Air, Maryland, is preferred but not mandatory.
- Be at least a high school senior as of the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Meet character criteria as set forth by the Miss America Organization (q.v.), and the Miss Maryland Organization (q.v.)
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must be available to speak on behalf of the Bel Air Independence Day Committee to organizations such as the Harford County Council and the Town of Bel Air Commissioners.
- You may also be asked to participate or appear, as a representative of the Bel Air Independence Day Committee, in other Fairs or Festivals throughout the time of your title-holding, as your schedule permits; these may include the Harford County Farm Fair; the Bel Air Kite Festival; the Bel Air Christmas Parade; and others; your participation in these is not mandatory but is preferred.
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must commit the entire day of July 4, 2024, in Bel Air, Maryland, to carrying out the duties of the position.
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must agree to attend the Miss Maryland Pageant mandatory orientation meeting, and compete for the title of Miss Maryland 2024 in Hagerstown, Maryland, conforming to all the requirements, qualifications, conditions and codes of conduct common to those who are contestants in that pageant.
- Should you be named Miss Bel Air Independence Day, you must agree to raise a set amount for the Miss America Organization, through SpotFund, and/or any other requirements common to all Miss Maryland contestants. The Committee may assist you in these efforts and detailed information is available about this upon request.
- You must also agree to meet the time-commitment and responsibilities as set forth by the Miss Maryland program, should you win the title of Miss Maryland.
The position of MISS BEL AIR INDEPENDENCE DAY is chosen via interview; said interviews may be in person or via Zoom or Facetime. The deadline for communicating interest to the Committee via e-mail or via the CONTACT FORM on this page (select "Other" and state "I'm interested in being the next Miss Bel Air" in the Comments box!) is MARCH 1, 2024.
No person may hold the title of "Miss Bel Air" more than once, but previous applicants or contestants are welcome to apply again, assuming they are still qualified (see above).
All communications will be via e-mail or through this web site; please do not use Facebook, text messages, Facebook Texts, tweets, snapchat or any other electronic communications protocol! Don't use faxes — and don't mail us anything!
We will place updates on the Miss Bel Air and the Bel Air Independence Day Committee Facebook pages for general interest. If you have any questions about this, please fill out the CONTACT FORM or ask us via e-mail.
Interviews will be held in March, with the goal of choosing Miss Bel Air 2024 by March 31, 2024. Should that not be successful, later updates will be posted.
Events on Independence Day in Bel Air traditionally include flag-raisings in Bel Air on July 4, and the various family-friendly functions during the day, including the traditional competitive events such as the Water-Balloon Toss, Uncle Sam Says, and the Watermelon Eating Contest. Patriotic flag ceremonies are held in Shamrock Park, Rockfield Park and Town Hall. Finally, Miss Bel Air 2024, as Honorary Grand Marshall, leads the parade down Main Street in Bel Air at 6 pm. Fireworks at about 9:30 pm conclude the day.
Miss Bel Air may also appear at or in official or charitable events throughout the calendar year, including the Bel Air Kite Festival in April, the Harford County Farm Fair in late July, and the annual Town of Bel Air Christmas Parade, scheduled currently for December 8, 2024. She competes for the title of Miss Maryland at the annual Miss Maryland Competition, usually held in late June, 2024.
The title and position of Miss Bel Air Independence Day is an honorary one only, with no employment value or compensation to the title holder. No obligation is imposed upon the Bel Air Independence Day Committee towards the title holder, nor is there any obligation imposed upon the title holder, other than the requirements listed on this page. The holding of the title lasts the calendar year of its choice only, as per the general pageant expectations. The Committee reserves the right to change or replace holders of this position if or as needed, at any time, at its sole discretion.